Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A long overdue update































These are the kids' Easter baskets. Obviously, Bryce's was Cars and Audrey's was Princesses.



Bryce after eating the red Cars marshmallow pop.... and this is was just half way through it.

















Audrey in her pretty Easter dress at Grandma and Grandpa's house.














Bryce in his Easter outfit. He absolutely REFUSED to put a tie on...it's too bad because he looks really cute with it on! And yes, this is his devilish grin.




















Bryce was way too enthralled with the toy camera he was playing with.










Another shot of him at Grandma and Grandpa's.

















Our family picture, Easter 2009. Definitely not the greatest - neither child wanted to cooperate.









My mom and I took the kids to Cabela's one day to get them out of the house so Gene could sleep. Cabela's was actually really cool, and the kids loved seeing the animals.























Bryce decided one day that he wanted to wear Audrey's play shoes.... I think he's got the legs for it!






























Audrey decided the other day that it would be fun to lay in the middle of the train going around the tracks....too bad it got caught in her hair! She didn't like that part quite as much!








I just really liked this shot of Bryce.






Okay, sorry, I forgot to rotate the picture before I uploaded it. Just tilt your head to the right and it will look fine. :-)




We decided to take the kids to Jungle Jim's one day. Their favorite ride was the merry-go-round.



One night Bryce refused to take his hat off to go to bed.... I just thought it was kind of funny.

Things have been okay for us. Once again, Gene's hours have been cut back at work. We're back down to part time. If we would have known it was going to be like this, we would have just stayed on unemployment. Heaven knows we would be making more than what we are now. And what's made it worse is that the extra hours he was picking up through staffing agencies have all dried up too. So it's been very difficult for us financially. We met with our Bishop, and after adding up most of our expenses (not all of them) and our income before taxes he figured out that we weren't making enough. And that wasn't including food, gas, clothing and other miscellaneous expenses. Trust me - we certainly are not living the high life. We're desperately hoping that things turn around SOON. It's getting harder and harder on me and the kids to not have him home on the weekends, and I'm tired to being a single parent all weekend.

Audrey seems to be doing okay. I think we are entering a quiet period. At least I hope we are. She had her last infusion on May 2, and then we don't have to go back until the end of June. We see her doctors on June 16, so I hope things will go well. She's getting excited to be going to first grade next year. I can hardly believe she's old enough to do that! When she does something really mature, I'll turn around and ask her, "Audrey, when did you grow up?" And she'll turn to me and say "May 21," and then grin.

Bryce is doing well. We had his IEP meeting last Friday, and the school district wants to mainstream him in kindergarten with support, which I am fighting. His OT at school said that he's at about a 3 year old level in his fine motor skills, which is no where near where he needs to be for school. I think that will be my best argument at keeping him on special ed and then also mainstreaming him. He needs the extra help in some areas, but in other areas he's doing really well. I'm still waiting to hear back from the placement coordinators at the school district on that. It's funny - everybody I've talked to outside of the school district feels that mainstreaming him even with support is setting him up to fail. But I did speak to the principal at Audrey's school, and she agrees with my plan for mainstream in the morning and special ed in the afternoon to try and work on some of the skills that he is lacking. So we'll see how that goes. We did find out we got approved for disability medicaid for him, so hopefully that will help to pick up some of the co-pays.
I've had it okay. I cracked a tooth and need a crown, so I have to be very careful until I can have that done in July when flex spending kicks in again. I can't afford $400 to have it done before then. I did finally receive my Lifetime award at Weight Watchers the end of March, and it was really neat. The kids and Gene came, and it was just a really neat experience. I'm so glad that I was finally able to make it to that award. Sometimes it felt so far away!

No comments:

Post a Comment